As many of you know, I got married this past weekend! (I’m so sorry I couldn’t invite all of you…it was a smallish affair at the Red Corral Ranch in Wimberley, TX.)
It was, quite honestly, one of the greatest, most incredible and mostly indescribable days of my life. If that sounds trite, I’m sorry…but that’s how it was.
I’m not going to give you play-by-play of the entire week of events, because that’s not fun for me to write or for you to read. However, here are some highlights:
- Washington, DC, is DEFINITELY not a state: Marisa and I live in Washington, DC. You know, the capital of the United States of America. It’s a unique place, as it is a city, not a state. That being said, “DC” is considered a place you can live in by the USPS and virtually every form of communication and standards. Hayes County, Texas, however, is not included in that list. They only issue marriage licenses to people that live in STATES…not the United States of America. The District of Columbia, once again, the CAPITAL OF OUR NATION, is not included in their computer system as a valid address. Thus, our marriage license says we live in “Washington, Other.”
- Voices: We came up with a concept for the ceremony called “Voice.” During this section, seven specifically-chosen people were invited to read a quote, lyric or line from pop culture, be it a book, song, movie or TV show. To say this went well would be a vast understatement. We got quotes from Dr. Seuss, When Harry Met Sally, Bruce Lee and others…but Roman stole the show with this gem from Sesame Street:
Sometimes me think what is love, and then me think love is what last cookie is for. Me give up the last cookie for you. – Cookie Monster
Marisa’s quote to me made me cry (she traveled the world for nearly a decade before me met):
“All our young lives we search for someone to love. Someone who makes us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope… all the while wondering if somewhere, somehow, there’s someone perfect… who might be searching for us.” – The Wonder Years
I did something a little wild and out there. Do you know the Elephant Love Song from Moulin Rouge? The song made of lyrics from other songs? I did something kinda sorta like that. See if you can name all the songs!
If I could plan the perfect day, love, then I would start it just like this
I’m lucky that I’m in love with my best friend
See, I know not everybody has got a body like you
But, I want to rock your gypsy soul
Personally, I don’t see what anyone can see in anyone else but you
Because there’s a hole in my heart that can only be filled by you
Yeah, I’m sure hard to handle
But straight-up, I’m bringing sexy back
So please say to me you’ll let me hold your hand
And promise me baby you’ll love me forever more
It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life
And I want you to know…I said I want you to know right now
I got everything a man could want…I got more than I could ask for
You’re every song and I sing along, ’cause you’re my everything
(I’m definitely waiting for video of this!)
- Control Freak: Let’s just say that our wedding was everything WE wanted it to be. It was such a thrill to hear our guests had such a great time! Case in point: we had an awesome DJ…and I gave him a 45-song playlist and banned all requests. As a former DJ, I knew what I wanted at our wedding.
Our favorite song of the night was a party favorite from my college days, by Alan Thicke’s son! Marisa and I were the only ones dancing (we checked the video), but we didn’t care. It was AWESOME!
- Basic Questions:
- Procession song: “Life is Wondeful” by Jason Mraz, performed LIVE by the amazingly talented Andy Tran!
- Recession song: “For Once In My Life” by Stevie Wonder
- First Dance: “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz (an acoustic version that’s a trillion times better than the radio edit)
- Wedding Posse: check them out at marisaandmichael.wordpress.com!
- Now for some photos!
I had no idea what to expect or how to feel, but it was the most amazing feeling, living that weekend. From the ceremony, the dinners, the roasts, the afterparties…I’ll never forget it!
If you want to see more photos of the weekend, find me on Facebook (look under the contact tab above!)
Popularity: 5% [?]